Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Activity 4

A.4.5 When studying a science-related problem, decide what changes over time are occurring or have occurred
When traveling to New Mexico to visit family we came across a rock in the desert that is shaped like a camel, and it is called Camel Rock. It is sand stone I believe and has been there for many years. When I thought about how it was formed I at first thought it was there forever, but when I thought harder and took a geology class I realized it formed from the wind and sand, over many years the wind and sand have been eroding at the sides which has given it its shape. Once I realized that I thought that someday it may fall over and no one will see it anymore and I will be able to say I got to see it.


B.4.1 Use encyclopedias, source books, texts, computers, teachers, parents, other adults, journals, popular press, and various other sources, to help answer science-related questions and plan investigations
When I was in grade school we took a trip to the local forrest and met with a forrest ranger who taught us about various things we need to know about the wild. We went on a nature walk, had a nature scavenger hunt, and found some porcupine needles and talked about the different animals we could see in the woods. We also got the talk about wood ticks and had to search our bodies for them. This was an interesting trip because I remember that their were some students that never really went out in the woods and didn't know that much about it. I learned that people have different experiences and need to learn about the things they are not experiencing.


C.4.1 Use the vocabulary of the unifying themes to ask questions about objects, organisms, and events being studied
Parts of the plant, I seen a teacher teaching student in high school at Barron who were from Somalia and did not learn things in grade school such as parts of the plant and also had troubles speaking english. She showed them different objects that were parts of the plant separate then they wrote it on their worksheets. This was crazy to see someone at that age learning something that is simple but hard because of the language barrier.


D.4.2 Group and/or classify objects and substances based on the properties of earth materials
I created a bulletin board for a preschool classroom that has land and water forms children are to sort the land from water and also sort the animals that live on land or in water. This is an activity you can teach to the class and do together then separate the students in to groups of 2 or 3 and let them manipulate it together. I found some youtube videos that I could also show the class that teaches about land and water forms.


E.4.6 Using the science themes, find patterns and cycles in the earth's daily, yearly, and long-term changes
Weather, the weather is something that people are talking about every day, and in Wisconsin it is changing a lot all year round. Every day at circle time in my classroom this summer we pick a weather helper and sing "What's the Weather Like?" and the student goes to the window and looks out to see if it is sunny, cloudy, rainy, snowy, windy, etc. Then the student comes and fills out the weather wheel such as today they put it on Hot and Sunny! This is a great way for students to learn about weather and see the changes as the year goes seeing it is a slow process.


F.4.1 Discover* how each organism meets its basic needs for water, nutrients, protection, and energy* in order to survive
In one of my classes I made a game that helps preschool children understand what animals need to live, this was the most basic animal the dog. It contains a dog and things the dog needs to live. It has dog food, dog treats, leashes, collars, brushes, a dog house, and a few other things. The students use these to understand what a someone might need to raise a dog. If I did this for an animal in the wild I would pick something that lives in the area and work out from there.


G.4.2 Discover* what changes in technology have occurred in a career chosen by a parent, grandparent, or an adult friend over a long period of time
My mom started working at a place called the print shop before I was born, she typed up things for the paper. The company started growing so she was taught how to use different programs on the computer to do more things such as business cards, invitations, and other things like that. The company began to really grow and had to build a new building for their company. My mom was given a newer computer hand taught even more programs and has upgraded many times over the years. She is now a qualified graphic designer when before she started out as a typesetter on a little old computer, when now she has a huge Mac flat screen computer. I also seen that printing press grow from a little room to a big ware house.


H.4.1 Describe* how science and technology have helped, and in some cases hindered, progress in providing better food, more rapid information, quicker and safer transportation, and more effective health care
Science has helped me in the health part by always gaining on information and keeping up on what is new. I was very sick and needed to try drugs that were not approved for my illness called study drugs, and I had a 50/50 chance of getting the real drug or a placebo. I tried these drugs, this is the way for researchers to figure out what will work and help people be healthy even though it may not have helped me, I may have helped someone in the future get something that works.

No comments:

Post a Comment